Coming to you direct from the Sun & Moon Festival: Issue 5 of the Proud East Marshian!
From the Sun & Moon website: https://www.sunandmoonfestival.org/proudeastmarshian
Or download here
East Marsh Gardens
The theme of this month’s edition is the environment, but we’re not just talking nature here; we’re covering our whole environment: the streets of the East Marsh. We catch-up with Ernie Brown and chat about his journey from hotel chef to head gardener at Your Place, an oasis tucked away on an East Marsh street.
East Marsh Windows
And some East Marsh families have been working their magic to transform their front room windows with the craft boxes that Josie has been busy putting together and delivering to homes around the area (she had to be surgically removed from Boyes on more than one occasion)! Add East Marsh imagination to the craft boxes and – hey presto – windows are now storyboards that tell the stories of their family lockdown experiences. As you’d expect, there’s humour (look out for the toilet rolls), there’s empathy and there’s positivity: all the traits that sum-up the East Marsh spirit.
So, the next time you venture out, keep a look-out for these window theatres. They’ll brighten up even the dullest of summer days.
East Marsh United are looking for a Community Project Developer to work alongside our PBSA Project Coordinator in implementing our strategies and vision for the next three years. We are a dynamic and progressive grass-roots community group working in the heart of Grimsby’s historic East Marsh. We’re involved in a number of fantastic funded projects with more in the pipeline and need an experienced, big-hearted, genuine, empathic and trusting person who is creative and community-oriented.
The people of the East Marsh want what every other human being on this planet wants: a nice home, pleasant streets, friendly neighbours, meaningful and gainful employment and the very real prospect of a creative happy and healthy future for all on OUR East Marsh. Come and stand with us Proud East Marshians and help us make change happen here…
Find out more and apply now via the Indeed jobs website: t.ly/sfbN (or search there for ‘Community Project Developer DN32’)
This post is generously funded for 3 years by Tudor Trust. The purpose of the funding is to increase the resilience of East Marsh United and hence the impact and engagement of our development work in Grimsby’s East Marsh neighbourhood.
Donate Here: www.crowdfunder.co.uk/five-fishes-food-poverty-relief
The Five Fishes Campaign is a crowdfunding effort in response to the pandemic, ensuring We Are One food kitchen are able to continue to provide support to the most vulnerable in our community. Watch the video and then look at the FIVE ways YOU can help below.
Five for Five Fishes
Five ways that YOU can help to provide support the campaign:
- SHARE FIVE: Share this information to 5 friends who you think would be interested in supporting the foundation too!
- LIKE FIVE: Interact with 5 posts on Facebook or Twitter – visible support for the organization goes a long way.
- REACH FIVE: Reach out to 5 organizations, businesses, or groups, and ask them if they can support the campaign – whether this is through sharing publicly, or even donation!
- DONATE FIVE: If you are in the financial position to do so, a small donation of £5 would go a long way to ensure We Are One can continue with the work that they do (for those that can, £50 or £500 would be great): www.crowdfunder.co.uk/five-fishes-food-poverty-relief
- TAKE FIVE: Take 5 minutes out of your day, to find out more about what We Are One do. You can find them on Facebook and Twitter:
I can’t believe this is the FOURTH issue of our very own East Marsh Newspaper, The Proud East Marshian. Our arts gang have once again done us proud in this beautifully produced and engaging interstellar issue.
Have a look for yourself: https://www.sunandmoonfestival.org/proudeastmarshian
This edition has an ‘out of this world’ theme as the Sun & Moon Festival launched our project for children and families – Let’s Go To Space in July. The magazine gives an insight into the project and all the people who put it together and takes you to some fabulous resources which can be enjoyed for free.
East Marsh Windows – Our World, Our Environment – Get Involved
This July edition also launches our summer arts project for families – East Marsh Windows. There are full details in the magazine regarding the project but I’ve copied them below for ease. Please share this project as widely as you can! We will have a maximum of 30 boxes available and it would be wonderful if we could have 30 families taking part. Please help us to get his lovely project out there:
The summer holidays are now looming and we know it can sometimes be hard to keep children occupied and doing fun things.
Here at the Sun and Moon Festival, we want to help you have a creative summer, especially as we still face some lockdown restrictions.
We invite you to get creative with your front window and create a beautiful display of your own design on the theme of Our World, Our Environment.
We are inviting families to take part in this project. Here’s a step by step guide to the project:
- Apply for a gift box from the Sun and Moon Festival. Either: Email email@example.com between July 10th and July 20th to apply. You must be resident in postcode area DN32 in order to qualify.
- OR send us a private message to our Facebook page, again between July 10th –July 20th https://www.facebook.com/sunmoonfestgy/
- In your request tell us why you want to take part in the project – for example ‘I want to take part in this project because I enjoy using art and craft to make my house look nice.’
- If you are successful in your application, a box will be delivered to your house containing an exciting mix of art and craft materials, suggestion sheets, templates and instructions to inspire you. You can create any design you like but we would like you to display our logo (which will be in the box) and a piece of bunting – fabric and ribbon will be provided. This is FREE.
- Over the course of the summer, you will have a safe and socially distanced interview and photo shoot of your window with members of our team. We will use the photos for our website and project, while making sure your privacy is protected.
- The best window will receive a special prize – to be confirmed – and there will be some runner-up prizes as well.
If you fancy getting some inspiration, take a look at this board on Pinterest that Josie has created for you to look at: https://www.pinterest.co.uk/msjosiemoon/art-and-craft-windows/
Issue 5 of The Proud East Marshian will focus on the environment. It would be great if you could send in photographs and short blurbs about your gardens – we know there are some little gems of gardens here on the East Marsh. We would like to receive any stories and photographs that are about the environment here in the East Marsh. These can be emailed directly to Carolyn Doyley firstname.lastname@example.org Please send by July 15th.